[MPlayer-users] My experience with Maxtor 160GB, LVM, XFS

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Wed May 8 12:16:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Diego Zuccato wrote:

> PS: what about my question ? How much is LVM slower than plain sw RAID5

I have no idea.  LVM can stripe but I just concatenate my drives.  Seeing
that LVM doesn't provide redundancy features (mirroring, raid etc) I don't
think you are comparing apples with apples.

Its quite reasonable to use LVM to abstract your disks and then md or
whatever for raid.

I do know that with the combination of LVM and XFS my disks never seem to
do anything but loaf in my digital video application.  Even when capturing
several video streams at once whilst playing back another I see only the
occasional disk access.

Steve