[MPlayer-users] Mencoder cropping/cutting

SMuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Mon May 13 14:12:01 CEST 2002

You must not doubt, man of fragile faith!!

It works wonderfully. I have in this very moment the film "Artificial
Intelligence" in the computer and it has been done with the script I
sent. I can put it in a link on my web page (for a {very} short period
of time if you want to test it).

I have no mistakes. Perhaps you think so because I have separated in
three lines the long instruction. So the "good" one would be:

cat *.vob | mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts(space)
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=600:vhq:vme=5:vqmin=2 -vop(space)
pp=6,expand=0:-40:0:0:2,crop=512:288:8:0,scale=528:288 -oac mp3lame -

in one line with one space where signaled. Just perfect!!

BTW, this last-CVS version of MPlayer that I am using has been compiled
with the standard compiler of the all new last version of RedHat (7.3),
that is also 2.96... And, no problems. Perhaps due to this absurd
compiler now I am obliged to write the instructions in reverse order.
Before I did:
expand=-1:40:0:0, according with Gabu's suggestion, but I have realized
that now I have to write changing a little bit:  expand=0:-40:0:0
So, changing the sign of 40. About the reverse order, I must confess
that it took me almost one full hour to find the right placements of
every instruction but I remembered that at some moment someone said that
the order must go from right to left...(funny peculiar).
I tried it and "bingo!". Perfect.

As I have said more than once, this is the really charming aspect of
MPlayer. When some new film must be encoded one knows that there will be
some "neuronal-activation" to be able to. And this is great when you are
60...  :-)   In fact, I could maintain some "well-working" version and
try the new ones before "make install", but that would be boring...

And, as I have said more than once, the great thing is that at the end
one obtains the best quality possible (much better than all the other
tools, windozes or not --{ with the sole detail of the
2-languages-encoding, that is quite impressive..} )

Good job, Arpi, extremely good!!. When I remember how was your dear
child 6 months ago and I use it now, I feel really respectful about you
and your team. Congratulations once more!!

--
Santiago Muelas (Depto. de Mecánica)
http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas
ETSI de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (U.P.M)    smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Dr.Aranguren s/n - Ciudad Universitaria       Tf. 91 336 6659
MADRID 28040