[MPlayer-users] Mencoder cropping/cutting

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 13 14:21:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> You must not doubt, man of fragile faith!!
>
> It works wonderfully. I have in this very moment the film "Artificial
> Intelligence" in the computer and it has been done with the script I
> sent. I can put it in a link on my web page (for a {very} short period
> of time if you want to test it).
>
> I have no mistakes. Perhaps you think so because I have separated in
> three lines the long instruction. So the "good" one would be:
>
> cat *.vob | mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts(space)
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=600:vhq:vme=5:vqmin=2 -vop(space)
> pp=6,expand=0:-40:0:0:2,crop=512:288:8:0,scale=528:288 -oac mp3lame -
>
> in one line with one space where signaled. Just perfect!!

far from perfect...
you put the pp filter at the end - after scaling. and you set pp flags to
really weird value. i must tell you, that deblocking filters need teh qscale
information, but it does lost when you scale/crop/expand the image.
so that pp=6 is just useless and has no effect.
put it to teh other end, or just use -pp 6, instead of -vop pp=6
then it will place it to the right place.

anyway, imho cropping should be done before scaling.

> that it took me almost one full hour to find the right placements of
> every instruction but I remembered that at some moment someone said that
> the order must go from right to left...(funny peculiar).

it's not right-to-left, it's vo to codec.
so, imagine video out / encoder at the left, and decoder at the right, and
the filters between them.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team