[MPlayer-users] mga_vid and devfs problem on MDK 8.2 (long) (Fwd: Re: MPlayer --- src.rpm for syncfb driver ...)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue May 14 01:35:01 CEST 2002

Arpi writes:

 > argh
 > i said: REMOVE /dev/mga_vid WHEN using devfs. somehow (dunno why) devfs
 > doesn't work if old style device (created by mknod) is in the way
 >
 > imho its' better to removedisable devfs support in mga_vid
 > it generated tons of such bugreporst already

I have a file mga_vid in /etc/devfs/devices.d/ that contains the
following:

# Matrox YUV Video interface
# format: name [bc] major minor uid gid mode
mga_vid c 178 0 root video 0660

This takes care of creating the proper device node automagically.

I have never had any problems with mga_vid and devfs.  I posted an
mga_vid Debian package to mplayer-dev-eng some time ago.  It takes
care of devfs.  Dominik, please contact me if you are interested.  Or
should I just post it to mplayer-users?

Diego