[MPlayer-users] mga_vid and devfs problem on MDK 8.2 (long) (Fwd: Re: MPlayer --- src.rpm for syncfb driver ...)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue May 14 03:35:01 CEST 2002

Arpi writes:

 > > argh
 > > i said: REMOVE /dev/mga_vid WHEN using devfs. somehow (dunno why) devfs
 > > doesn't work if old style device (created by mknod) is in the way
 > >
 > > imho its' better to removedisable devfs support in mga_vid
 > > it generated tons of such bugreporst already
 >
 > just commited a possible fix for this problem.
 > if devfs register() fails, it fallbacks to non-devfs mode (mknod) instead of
 > exiting by error. hope it works, i don't have devfs...
 >
 > could someone test it? (CVS)

This is what dmesg says after modprobing mga_vid:

Matrox MGA G200/G400/G450/G550 YUV Video interface v2.01 (c) Aaron Holtzman & A'rpi
devfs_register(mga_vid): could not append to parent, err: -17
mga_vid: unable to get major: 178 (devfs) => fallback to non-devfs mode
mga_vid: Found MGA G200 AGP
mga_vid: MMIO at 0xe21f7000 IRQ: 11  framebuffer: 0xE7000000
mga_vid: OPTION word: 0x401DCD31  mem: 0x13  SGRAM
mga_vid: detected RAMSIZE is 8 MB
syncfb (mga): IRQ disabled in mga_vid.c

The strange part is that it claims to fall back to non-devfs mode when
I do have devfs..  It works, though.

I've been using devfs for ages without problems.  Isn't the problem
more likely to be on the configuration side and not with the module?
I'm taking a guess here, I had a look at the code, but did not really
understand much.

Diego