[MPlayer-users] subtitles posicion

Fredrik Kuivinen freku045 at student.liu.se
Tue May 14 10:05:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:06:11PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > Arpi didn't RTFM :
> > > imho no one wants a 2147483647 pixels height window ;)
> > I mean -fs
> > So -fs now adds black bands that _can't_ be used for subtitles
> > And expand adds black bands that _can_   be used for subtitles
> >
> > So IMHO we should go for the second, no reason for the first.
>
> i doubt
> the seconds eats video memory containing the black bands, and transfers
> black bands to video card so increasing video bandwith usage
> for low mem cards it may not work at all
> at vf level we don't know the vo's parameters (screen aspect, screen
> width/height) so can't calculate the ideal height of black bands

What do you think about adding a new control call that gets the screen
size? The vo driver would probably need to notify the filters about
screen size changes somehow too...

Btw You have said that filters shouldn't do anything (be transparent)
if they don't get any parameters a few times now. I agree with you
that this is desirable for filters that might be automatically
inserted. But is there any reason for other filters such as a
hypothetical '-vop add_black_bands_with_subtitles' to be transparent?

/ Fredrik