[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Sat May 18 10:38:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:
> > 1) last bugreport I sent still awaits moderator approval
> it was probably too big - reread bugreports, it says gzip it if it's too
> large or better: upload to ftp and send the link only with problem descr.
It was 82K... just 2K too much :-(
Zipped is 15k. Uploading trashedvideomem.bugreport.gz . It's all there
(ah, you can delete "Aida_degli_Alberi.*" since the problem reported
have already been taken care of ...

> > 2) once locked, I have NO way of recovering the machine, except booting
> it is not mplayer/mencoder bug. it is hardware problem, we cannot help you.
> (sorry, i have no spare p4 to send to you :))
Well, it's just a P3 :-) Have you some handy ? :-)

> mplayer/mencoder can NOT hang your system. your drivers can. your cpu can
> overhelm. your chipset can be buggy etc. but they are not our fault.
I know. But I already tested for other possible causes...
Memory: used Ram Stress Test => all tests OK (including LEAK ones!)
CPU overheat: apart it doesen't overheat during encode (could feel it
with fingers), I tried to make it REALLY overheat (closing air accesses)
and it just slows down to 200MHz (HW imposed limit) or shuts down (at
95C).
Buggy chipset: I think that if the chipset is buggy I should experience
other random lockups, expecially during kernel recomp. or at least every
time I squeeze it to the limits (REALLY often, trust me :-) ).

I too was ready to blame HW, but all the tests done seem to exclude
it...

The only other tests I can think of are:
1) using mencoder in a telnet session, so at least I could save some
output...
2) try encoding on another machine, just to know if it's due to the
source file

Could you think about some other test that doesen't require an ICE (I
haven't a P3/700 ICE handy, at the moment :-( Have you ?)?

BYtE,
 Diego.