[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Mon May 20 09:02:01 CEST 2002

Corey Hickey wrote:
> If that happens, it shouldn't hang the entire system, though, should it?
>    I couldn't type, couldn't move the mouse pointer, coudn't ping the
> machine.... In any case, I'm not particularly worried yet. That's the
> only failure I've had, with dozens of rip initiations on that particular
> DVD disk.
The system isn't hung. It's just waiting in kernel mode (thus no other
interrupts are accepted!) that timeouts expire...
Have had a lot of these situations with cheap CDs written at 8x and read
from the internal reader... That's why I usually record 2 copies of
important data: one at 8x (for everyday use) and one at 1x (master, for
backup).

BYtE,
 Diego.