[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jason.nl
Tue May 21 20:54:01 CEST 2002

* Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> (Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:39:20PM -0700)

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Corey Hickey wrote:
>>

>>>May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 1, lun 0,
>>>CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00 40 00
>>>May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel: Current sd0b:01: sense key Medium Error
>>>May 17 04:56:25 bugfood kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 64
>>
>>Seems your reader have some troubles with that CD. If you wait enough,
>>it gives up (might require quite a long time).
>>If you have enough free space, you can rip the entire track on hdd, and
>>then encode it. Maybe it's better if you first set read speed at a low
>>value using hdparm...

> If that happens, it shouldn't hang the entire system, though, should it?

kernel hangs during a system call
it's a single CPU box,
CPU sais, hang on, I gotta call the scsi bus, just wait till it returns
	which it never does

[yeah, that's vastly oversimplified, but you get the idea]

Currently listening to:  - Alice Cooper - Can´t Sleep, Cl

	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,	Some say we'll see armageddon soon