[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Mon May 20 14:03:02 CEST 2002

Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> > If your system can handle running that overnight without crashing, you can
> > start blaming mencoder then.
> You can't. NO userspace program should lock up your kernel, otherwise that
> bug is bug of your kernel. Run mencoder as user (not root) and then it
> should not lock up the kernel if it would bug free ...
Since Arpi said it's a HW problem, Rick gave some hints for testing HW
stability. SW *CAN* push HW to (and over) the limits, IF there's some
problem hidden somewhere...
But I'm running burnMMX and burnP6 just now, and all is fine. CPU is at
52C (it reached 73C, then 'jumped' down...), frequency is still around
700MHz (if temp too high, a limiter cuts it to 200MHz at most).

Well, it's not yet an "overnight" test... But I'm quite sure it won't
lock even if I run it continuously for a week !
And since mencoder (NOT suid root, and NOT run from root account) is the
ONLY program that locks the entire machine, I don't know where else
should I look...

BYtE,
 Diego.