[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Wed May 22 15:33:01 CEST 2002

Frederick Grim wrote:
> Try getting rid of acpi and see if it still happens?  I imagine you may
> have done this but I have had problems with the disk stuff in the acpi modules...Those
> things are still pretty buggy is my understanding.
I simply can't. Or I'll roast my CPU. Just note that the system is
STABLE (except for mencoder...) ONLY from the day I recompiled all the
kernel with that ACPI patch. I'm on the ACPI list, too, and newer
patches didn't add anything to make it more stable on my laptop.
Since it's just mencoder (and just with a specific file ripped from vcd)
that makes it crash&burn (not mplayer, that should be quite similar
code... neither burnP6, burnMMX, RST & so on), I think I won't encode
that file again.

BYtE,
 Diego.