[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jason.nl
Thu May 23 09:10:02 CEST 2002

* Diego Zuccato <diego at otello.alma.unibo.it> (Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:44:55PM -0400)
> Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
>
> > did you try things like:
> > (esp. since you can telnet into the box)
> It's not ME the one who can telnet into the box. When I say "completly",
> I mean completly. Else I's say smt like "locks the keyboard" (or X
> session, or terminal...).

I mean telnet into the box **BEFORE** starting the mencoder

> > -> boot laptop w/o X
> > -> make sure you have all messages to syslog
> > -> telnet in and run top
> > -> telnet in and run tail -f /var/log/allmessages
> > -> telnet in again and run truss mencoder
> Simply, the three terminals lock. No messages :-(

If you run top, you must have top output
If you run truss, you must have truss output

of course the terminals lock,
but top will show you if anything odd is happening with your process
tail on allmessages will show you if anything gets logged in the syslog
truss will show you the system calls mencoder is running.

	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,	Some say we'll see armageddon soon