[MPlayer-users] about the mms:// support/problems Fwd: Re: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] in mms support

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 26 14:38:01 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 06:39, Georgi Georgiev wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 06:02:14AM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > > Hm, I am DNAT-ing ports 7070 and 7071 UDP from my router to my
> > > workstation. RealPlayer seemed to be using them... no problems. Maybe
> > > the mms protocol is a bit different, just like the problems I had with
> > > ohphone (from openh323.org) because the IP address was exchanged during
> > > the communication and no NAT-ing could do the trick. Cannot test though
> > > - Linux only.
> >
> > using DNAT helps, BUT only for a single computer, so not multiple systems
> > behind a NAT/Masq-Router can use it, unless there are special
> > masquerading modules, which are rarely available especially for iptables.
>
> Took me a while to figure out what you mean, but I guess it is that with
> the mms protocol we don't have a choice of a UDP port?  Unfortunately I do
> not understand things as well as I wish, and it is not clear to me why a
> UDP port cannot be negotiated rather than having it fixed (having in mind
> that I am a *CLIENT*). Or maybe I am talking nonsense...
you are :) I just pinted out that DNAT only can forward a specific port to
_one_ host behind the router, which is a problem if you have multiple hosts
behind the firewall that want to use the service that is portforwarded.
However there is a workaround to this as some software allows to speicify the
port range to use, so you could give each client a specific port range and
DNAT that range to the respective hosts. However DNAT is always a mess!
--
Best Regards,
        Atmos