[MPlayer-users] [updated draft] MPlayer quickstart guide

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 27 13:35:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > This revised version has a few more details and three new sections
> > > that explain how to get the Win32 codecs and libavcodec in case this
> > > should be necessary as well as first steps.
> >
> > libavcodec and win32 codecs must be in their place _BEFORE_ you type
> > ./configure !!!
>
> Of course.  I have updated the README to make this more clear.

I can't find it mroe clear :(

Imho, it would be clear, if you start with win32 codec download and
libavcodec _before_ telling the user to do './configure'

currently, it sounds like an airplane manual saying:

1. jump out of the airplane
2. before you jump out, attach the parachute
3. before you arrive the land, open the parachute

the user will read 1., jump out, and then bumm.
no one will read 2. or 3.
maybe after the bumm, but he will be ideg by then, as he has to compile it 2
or more times.

> > if you recomemnd gui stfuf, then configure must be told to use gui, so
> > --enable-gui there
>
> The README mentions that already, but I will try to make this clearer also.

but not 2 pages later, please

the avg user will see this:
  ./configure
  make
  make install
at the first page, copypaste with his 4d mouse, compile, run and then see it
doens't work. he will either remove the program, start mailing or continue
reading the readme, and recompile mplayer several times...

> > anywya, could you please tell em why dont you just copy and html->txt the
> > quickinstall section of the html docs (so this can be removed from teh htm
> l)
> > instead of re-inventing that?
>
> My idea was to provide a very quick introduction to MPlayer.  Something
html doc is also very quick

> I guess you do not want to have the information duplicated across two
> manuals.  This would partially be true for the moment, but
no, i don't want duplicate dstuff. i said: move and convert that to txt. not
'copy' and convert.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team