[MPlayer-users] [updated draft] MPlayer quickstart guide

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon May 27 13:14:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 01:00:21AM +0200, Arpi wrote:

> > This revised version has a few more details and three new sections
> > that explain how to get the Win32 codecs and libavcodec in case this
> > should be necessary as well as first steps.
>
> libavcodec and win32 codecs must be in their place _BEFORE_ you type
> ./configure !!!

Of course.  I have updated the README to make this more clear.

> if you recomemnd gui stfuf, then configure must be told to use gui, so
> --enable-gui there

The README mentions that already, but I will try to make this clearer also.

> anywya, could you please tell em why dont you just copy and html->txt the
> quickinstall section of the html docs (so this can be removed from teh html)
> instead of re-inventing that?

My idea was to provide a very quick introduction to MPlayer.  Something
between the current README ("Go read the docs.") and the current docs ("Go
spend an hour or more reading docs.").  I believe that we are currently not
quite striking the right balance between the two extremes.  This README is
designed to bridge that gap.

You want the README to supplant the installation part of the HTML docs.
This is possible, of course, but would require the README to become much
more detailed and mention all the different codecs, supported formats,
different video cards etc ...

I guess you do not want to have the information duplicated across two
manuals.  This would partially be true for the moment, but
documentation.html will get reworked eventually, don't worry.  We should
probably revisit the issue then and come to a final decision.

Diego