[MPlayer-users] TV out on some ATI cards (was: Tv-out on Ati radeon 9000)

techt techt at pikeonline.net
Sun Nov 3 05:26:02 CET 2002

> hi all, i've just bought a new ati radeon 9000, obviusly there aren't
> still drivers, but i found a patch for xfree to work a radeon 9000 as a
> 8500. Someone has told that the 8500 is similar to 9000.

I have a Dell 8100 with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.  I've been able to get mplayer to display on a television with help from a program called atitvout.  After you've installed atitvout, try the following with your ATI Radeon 9000.

With your computer's power off, connect your video card to your television (this is important).  Now turn on your computer and get to a shell prompt in normal text mode.  Run the program "test.sh" which came with atitvout (you might have to do so as root depending on your configuration.)   The test script will iterate through all possible combinations of commands for the tv out program, pausing for a couple seconds between each try.  Watch your television screen to see if your output is displayed.  If so, remember the command tried -- this is the one you wish to use to enable TV out for your card.  If it doesn't work, then you're out of luck.  (For my machine, "atitvout -f t" forces TV out.)

I've found that on my hardware, the above will allow me to watch DVD or Divx video on a television using mplayer in either vesa mode or from X11 in 800x600 or smaller resolution.

Anyhow, atitvout is included with Debian and perhaps other distros, or can be found here:
<http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/atitvout/>

--
techt <techt at pikeonline.net>
"[Mass] media is often stenography for the powerful" -- Norman Solomon