[MPlayer-users] <A.D.D> linux user overwhelmed with information; please recommend the best devices for Mplayer

Robert L. Hiett res1e8gl at verizon.net
Mon Nov 4 08:51:02 CET 2002

Hello,

I'm in the proccess of building my linux home entertainment center, and
I'd like to make Mplayer the focal point, so I'd like to make sure I'm
getting the most compatible hardware for it.

I'm running a p.o.s. ecs k75sa mainboard, 256MB ram, althon XP 1.4 Mhz
and redhat 8.0

I just ordered the hollywood+ em8300 chipset becuase I heard that the
dvd decoder chips are garbage on the consumer video cards and I heard
Mplayer supports this. Will I only be able to use the "tv-out" feature
for watching dvd's on this card, or will I be able to watch divx flicks
on my tv using this tv-out portion of this card?

Goal #1
I'm in the market for a good video card that will work well with Mplayer
for viewing analog or digital displays(preferably either/or/or_both).
I'd like to avoid running stuff as "root", as i saw in the read Mplayer
doc, and it would be nice if it was compatible with
http://directfb.org/projects.xml (look at the bottom of the page pleae),
as I'm interested in their Xserver that runs rootless.  They list the
matrox g200/g400/g450/g550, among others.

I eventually plan on having two computer displays and one television
going at one time, so whether I get separate video cards, or a dual head
card with independent displays(capable of having different stuff on each
display), it makes no difference to me.

{I hear there is a tv-out patch for the matrox g450/g550 for 2.5.x
series kernels, not that it would matter if my hollywood plus dvd
decoder card's tv-out could output divx flicks on my tv.}

I'm in the market for a v4l compatible tv tuner; my goal is to be able
to use Mplayer to record tv programming on my computer and display it
either on either my monitor or tv.  I don't know if I want an analog
tuner or a digital one, or if it even matters, ie.. there are a hundred
ways to skin a cat.

So here is where I'm at, if you would be kind enough to recommend some
hardware given my requirements, It would be much
appreciated.{model/part#'s with links to purchase extra credit}

I'm really confused on video cards as I'm afraid I'll get the wrong
model, ie.. is this http://matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g550/home.cfm
compatible with G550 or not, or is it a different card.  I noticed
pricewatch has a  Matrox Millenium G400,6001613 2d/3d-Video w/tv
support, is this cards tv tuner v4l compatible and will it work well
with Mplayer?(it's probably a pci though)

Thank You in Advance,

Robert L. Hiett II