[MPlayer-users] What is "XineramaIsActive"?

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Nov 6 16:13:03 CET 2002

On Wednesday, 06 November 2002, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:

> > On Wednesday, 06 November 2002, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > even if it works, it isn't a right fix.
> > > some users reported the problem is the same even when recompiling from
> > > CVS.
> > > something is wrong somewhere else.
> >
> > I agree, but I can't reproduce it. I tried turning on Xinerama on my box
> > and gmplayer still doesn't complain. Does anyone have any idea how to find
> > what's wrong?
>
> The Xinerama symbols should never be loaded from a shared library. If they do,
> there must be a shared library on the system which exports the XineramaIsActive
> symbol.
>
> The easiest way to find such a lib is
> grep XineramaIsActive /usr/X11R6/lib/*.so /usr/lib/*.so

Aha!
$ LC_MESSAGES=C grep XineramaIsActive /usr/X11R6/lib/*.so /usr/lib/*.so
Binary file /usr/lib/libSDL.so matches

There's your culprit.

> This should not report any library. If the symobols is found in a shared
> library, check, if it's defined or undefined
>
> nm --demangle libname.so | grep XineramaIsActive
>
> This will report something like
> 000005a0 T XineramaIsActive
>
> If there is the T, then the symbols is defined in the library. If there is an
> U, then the symbol is undefined. Both is wrong. Just report the library name
> and that line from nm.

$ nm --demangle /usr/lib/libSDL.so | grep XineramaIsActive
00050050 T XineramaIsActive

> You will most likely have such a shared library on your system. (I bet its SDL)

So it is. What should I do? Arpi and I agreed that SDL support is necessary...

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/