[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as a shared library

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Nov 7 20:18:03 CET 2002

Hi,

> I don't understand. What are legal reasons for not linking to the shared
> library? I thought GPL allows that. Otherwise, how do projects that rely
> on GNOME or similar GPL projects exist?

imho gnome is not gpl, at least libgtk is LGPL

and afaik GPL does not allow linking to non-GPL apps.

and afaik not even LGPL allows linking to BSD licensed progs, but i may be
wrong here. if it can be, then we could consider relicensing some parts of
mplayer, like libmpdemux under LGPL.

ps: please do NOT cc: me, i'm subscribed here if you didn't noticed yet...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team