[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as a shared library

David Holm david at realityrift.com
Thu Nov 7 20:24:02 CET 2002

On Thursday 07 November 2002 20.17, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I don't understand. What are legal reasons for not linking to the shared
> > library? I thought GPL allows that. Otherwise, how do projects that rely
> > on GNOME or similar GPL projects exist?
>
> imho gnome is not gpl, at least libgtk is LGPL
>
> and afaik GPL does not allow linking to non-GPL apps.

true, unless you change your license to GPL... GPL is contaigous

> and afaik not even LGPL allows linking to BSD licensed progs, but i may be
> wrong here. if it can be, then we could consider relicensing some parts of
> mplayer, like libmpdemux under LGPL.

This is not true. Any application with any license (closed or open source) may
link to LGPL code as long as you link dynamically and make any changes you do
to the LGPL code available either by request or by posting it on your
webpage, distributing it with your software etc..

//David Holm