[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Fri Nov 8 13:07:02 CET 2002

On 02.11.08 Dominik Szczerba pressed the following keys:

> A lot of problems that I ever had while mencoding was with vobfiles that
> were ripped with separate software... especially NTSC vobs... Most of
> problems disapeared when using only mplayer/mencoder.

Do not use broken software that mangles files while copying. dvdbackup
or vobcopy -m just copy dvd structure without changing data other than
decss-ing mpeg stream.

> I disagree it's a good idea (especially on Unixes, and not only with
> encoding) to mix software. I dont believe too much in standards or
> compatibility ;) The less I must use the better.

You totally miss the point. Unix always was about using small tools for
specific tasks, and not the huge-o-matic for everything like MS Word.

You could pack all functionally into mplayer (upchać tam łyżką do butów
wszystko co Ci przyjdzie do głowy), but it would grow beyond the
reasonable size and like all tools ``doing everything for everybody'' it
would propably not do any one thing well.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35