[MPlayer-users] Re: Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Nov 10 01:37:01 CET 2002

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> DOCS/bugreports.html] Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> No, that's not the only solution with MPEG4 output. One is to rescale
>> the movie to correct for aspect ratio before encoding.

[...]

>> The second, and the one that I use, is to embed the aspect ratio
>> information in the MPEG4 stream and have the scaling applied by the
>> final player.
>
> Woa! That's right what I looked for. But aspect option is NOT in
> libavc-options.txt so it shouldn't exist! But it exists and works...

Heh. The documentation is, as with most OSS projects, not the best way
to find out *all* the tricks that things are capable of. I found that
one out by reading the source. :)

OTOH, mplayer has significantly better documentation than most of the
packages out there. Oh, and if anyone wants to include my description
into the libavc-options.txt file, feel free.

    Daniel

--
In seeking the unattainable, simplicity only gets in the way.
        -- Alan J. Perlis, _Epigrams in Programming_ (September, 1982)