[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer crashes with -ao oss:/dev/adsp -ac hwac3

Kresimir Kukulj madmax at iskon.hr
Mon Nov 18 23:08:03 CET 2002

Quoting Peter Niemayer (niemayer at isg.de):
> > [MPlayer-users] mplayer crashes with -ao oss:/dev/adsp -ac hwac3
>
> > Alsa output module works ok. (I prefer oss emulation, because alsa ac3
> > passthrough can sometimes desync after some seeking ~ 100-200ms. Did anybody
> > else expirience this ?)
>
> This Alsa/AC3 desync problem is easy to fix: Use Alsa 0.9 (rc5 or newer)
> and the mplayer option "-ao alsa9:mmap:noblock"
>
> But don't use that "mmap:noblock" flags when not using -ac hwac3 - this
> doesn't seem to work well (choppy sound).

I just upgraded to rc5 and using "mmap:noblock" have fixed my desync
problem. Thanks.
I also get this message only when seeking (only with mmap:noblock):
alsa-space: xrun of at least 3.896 msecs. resetting stream  0.0% 0 0 18%
It is harmless (sound is ok, sync is ok).

> > Also, some unrelated question. ogmtools require divx in some container
> > (avi/ogm). Is there a way to dump video stream from .avi to another .avi
> > that contains only video ?
>
> Why would you want this? You can tell ogmtools with the "--noaudio"
> flag to just ignore that unwanted part...

Hm, you are right. ogmtools are all I need. I didn't read TFM carefully :(

Is here anybody using ogm container ? I need some help with subtitles.

I put .srt subtitle in ogm container with video and audio stream (subtitle
is in cp1250 codepage).  Mplayer doesn't show some characters (I suppose it
treats them as latin2).
-subcp latin2|cp1250 doesn't help (but it works correctly if I use subtitle
from separate file).  My fonts are generated with:
./subfont --unicode --blur 2 --outline 1.5 iso-8859-2 24 arial.ttf

I suppose if subtitles are put in ogm container, mplayer treats them
differently and -subcp is ignored ? Is this some ogm restriction or is it
simply not implemented ?

Kresimir Kukulj                      madmax at iskon.hr