[MPlayer-users] Bought new DVD drive .. mplayer no longer able to playback DVDs

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Tue Nov 19 18:19:08 CET 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:35:55 +0100
Jonas Jermann <jjermann at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:17:53PM +0100, Clemens W?chter wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:59:05 -0500
> > jasonrc at gomdoli.com wrote:
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html] I have that same drive. Once I set the drives
> > > region code it worked just fine.
> > >
> > > jason
> > >

> > What??? I thought that mplayer would just work around the region code
> > hardware bug...
> > At least it does so for my laptop dvd drive (the one in my pc is still
> > from region free times).
>
> I'm not sure about it neither... I thought the known plaintext
> attack (title method) could circumwent the rpc2 mechanism but it
> at least failed on one device/dvd I tested. Although the methode
> doesn't garantie any success, I'm still curious if it work for
> anyone...
>
> So it worked for your rpc2 laptop dvd drive and the dvd had the
> wrong region, right?

Yes, it worked. The Laptop is a Asus L8400L with a Toshiba DVD-Rom
SD-C2502 ATAPI CD-ROM drive. I usually play german DVD's with it
but I tried it with the Blade II DVD which worked perfectly. I did
not care about the region code, but I did not change it manually
and the drives are set to the local region code when shipped
as far as I know.

But I should mention that I configured mplayer with --disable-mpdvdkit
maybe this changes things a little. I am not a expert when it comes to
dvd copy protection since it does not bother me with mplayer, linux
and libdvdread :-)
But it worked.

Regards,
Clemens