[MPlayer-users] insane compulsive maniacal mencoder settings

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 22 22:52:02 CET 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:58:21PM +0100, Robert R. Wal wrote:
> On 02.11.22 D Richard Felker III pressed the following keys:
>
> > high-motion scenes) on one cd at 640x304, with 66 kbit/sec abr ogg
> > audio, using the options I described above. So, IMHO it's definitely
>
> Did you really use ABR audio? Don't. Use -q presets in oggenc (like -q0
> for ~64kbps) since it produces much better quality than ABR. Also use
> --resample 44100 if the source is 48kHz, since libvorbisenc is much
> better optimised for 44.1 than 48.

Yes, I used abr. I'm sorry but I like to be able to specify the
desired final file size. Especially when I've already encoded the
video and there's only so much space left for audio!

IMO, the ideal situation would be to encode the audio track at max
quality with vorbis, then use vorbis's scalability features to crop to
the desired average bitrate in a second pass, without having to
re-encode.

And yes, I used 44100 hz. I hate 48000 because its only supported on
these nonsense new pci soundcards. :))

Rich