[MPlayer-users] insane compulsive maniacal mencoder settings

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Nov 23 08:41:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:11:23PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> That being said, with video you have some tradeoffs you can make. Most
> people seem to encode with really basic options, but if you play with
> single coefficient elimination and luma masking settings, you can save
> lots of bits, resulting in lower quantizers, which means less
> blockiness and less ugly noise (ringing) around sharp borders. The
> tradeoff, however, is that you'll get some "muddiness" in some parts
> of the image. Play around with the settings and see for yourself. The
> options I typically use for (non-animated) movies are:
>
> vlelim=-4
> vcelim=9
> lumi_mask=0.05
> dark_mask=0.01

Hi !!!

Can you tell me where can I find info about what are luma, chroma, single
coeff. elimination? I find your comments are very interesting, and other
people told me about this options in the past too; but I don't know what
they are. I look for it in the docs; I found suggested values but nothing
more (I understand that docs are about mplayer/mencoder not about codecs
in general, of course)

Thanks in advance,

Martín

--