[MPlayer-users] insane compulsive maniacal mencoder settings

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Sun Nov 24 14:38:02 CET 2002

On 02.11.24 D Richard Felker III pressed the following keys:

> > tuned than the -q one). Last time I checked the difficult samples (high
> > bells, broken glass, percussion ``plates''(?), rain) encoded with
> > 1.0 release ABR 64kbps sounded like -q -1 (~48kbps). There was similar
> > analogy between ABR 80kbps and -q 0 (~64kbps), but at higher bitrate
> > the difference disapeared.
>
> How reliable are the size estimates you give for -q? If -q 0 stays
> around 64 kbit very well, I might try it next time.

Not much reliable. It doesn't ever get more than 64000bps, but in case
of movie it often gets 60kbps or even less.

> > There is one more possibility. Encode sound first and let the script do
> > the math about desired bitrate for the video. Most of the time
> > mencoder sticks to the bitrate you tell him to use with 0.2kbps acuracy.
>
> With default settings, yes. But I use a huge value for vratetol

Hmm... That's interesting. Exactly what values you use for what kind of
movies? (titles would be OK)

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35