[MPlayer-users] DVD and external subtitle file

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Sun Nov 24 01:16:02 CET 2002

On 02.11.22 Michal Wisniewski pressed the following keys:

> > > Is it possible to play a DVD movie with an external
> > subtitles file (eg. from
> > > divx version of the movie)?
> >
> > of course!
> >
> > mplayer -dvd n ..... -sub <path_to_your_sub>, or something like this!
> >
> But... n in -dvd n is a "chapter" and time in subtitle file is counted from
> beginning of what? chapter, beginning of disc?
> Have you tried the above command? I have an oportunity to buy a DVD "Matrix"
> (bought in USA) and I have polish subtitle file (from divx). Can I use the
> file with the DVD?

In this case the chapter is your least important problem.

There is a problem with movie length for PAL. Theatrical movies[1] are
24fps, NTSC is almost 30fps and PAL is 25fps. Theatrical movies telecined
to NTSC retain their original length/speed. When they are telecined to
PAL they are simply played faster[1]. So in the end 44 minutes
NTSC/theatrical movie becomes ~42mins PAL movie.

Imagine the subtitles file made for PAL movie that has the line:

00:43:00:I'm gonna rip you head off and shit down you neck!

When you play it with NTSC movie this text is displayed 2 mins ahead of
time, possibly in a love scene ;)

Robert

[1] film kinowy
[2] Bierzesz film 24 klatki na sekundę i kręcisz szybciej korbką, aż
 wynik jest 25 klatek na sekundę.

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35