[MPlayer-users] DVD and external subtitle file

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 22 22:42:01 CET 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:00:19AM -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:
> specifies the chapter. Be that as it may, I don't think you should
> have any trouble using an external subtitle file, though I've never
> tried, myself.

There is one possibility of trouble with external subtitle files.
Idiotic NTSC DVD's are labelled 29.97 fps but they're really 23.976
fps, making subtitle sync totally broken. Theoretically -subfps should
be able to fix the problem but I seem to remember having troubles. Of
course if you rip the DVD to mpeg4 first with proper -ofps and then
use the subtitle file, it'll work fine. I always do that anyway since
my box is too slow to play DVD realtime.

Rich