[MPlayer-users] DVD Playback problems (lots of info provided...)

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Tue Oct 15 08:31:02 CEST 2002

I am experiencing problems both with 0.90pre8 AND CVS getting DVD
playback to work. With 0.90pre8 I was able to get things MOSTLY working.
I'm pretty sure atleast some of my problem is my soundcard (via 626) so
I tried (with ALSA9 installed) -ao oss -ao sdl -ao alsa9. I always used
-vo xv since I have a GeForce3 with the nVidia drivers installed. With
0.90pre8 oss and alsa9 gave very gittery playback (both vid and aud),
while sdl couldn't open the sound device and if I used -nosound, there
was only occasional jitter.

With CVS I'm having MORE problems. If I use -ao oss then Mplayer tells
me it can't open the audio device. If I use -ao alsa9 then after
choosing play I get a black screen and IT FREEZES and if I use -ao sdl
it tells me it can't open the sound device. On both oss and sdl despite
the no sound video is still somewhat jerky. Note that I have no problems
with any other audio applications.

I tried all of this with various combinations of -ni -mc 0 and
-forceidx. I also tried all of this with no -vo option.

All my information is below, as detailed in the bugreports.html
documentation I've also included mplayer_alsa9.log, mplayer_oss.log, and
mplayer_sdl.log which are the outputs of mplayer using the respective
audio options. Latly config.h config.mak and libvo/config.mak are
attached (they're text and it seemed this was OK from bugreport.html).

If I can provide any information or if you have
any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

SYSTEM INFO
Debian Testing
Custom 2.4.19 kernel
Libc 2.2.5
XFree86 4.1.0.1
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/specs
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
$ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.13.90.0.4 20020814 Debian GNU/Linux
$ as --version
GNU assembler 2.13.90.0.4 20020814 Debian GNU/Linux
~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 864.489
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1723.59

Video Card: nVidia GeForce3 Ti200 64MB RAM
Vid Driver: nvidia linux driver from nvidia.com 1.0-3123
Audio Card: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 21)
Audio Driver: ALSA 0.9.0rc3