[MPlayer-users] Re: Split an Mencoder Divx with vbr mp3 audio

Kim Minh Kaplan kmkaplan at selfoffice.com
Tue Oct 15 12:40:02 CEST 2002

gabor writes:

> can anyone tell me what is good in those vobsub subtitles ( you're
> talking about picture-subtitles,ripped directly from a dvd, aren't
> you?)?

They can be placed anywhere on the screen, for exemple near the person
who is talking, or somewhere it does not interfere with smething
written in the movie.  Also it can show pictures, i.e. things that are
not actually letters, like notes to indicate singing.  They can also
be multicolored (only 4 colours at a time actually, or even 3 because
one is usually taken up transparency).

> i always convert them to text-mode subtitles, because they look ugly
> compared to a nice anti-aliased ttf font:-) and take too much space
> imho...so why to you them?

Sadly the conversion is very error prone, especially when original
subtitles use a proportional font.  Also if they really take too much
space, did you think about uncropping the movie?  Reasons for using
them are that it works very well in an automated way, and it's in
MPlayer.

But yes, they are kind of big.  but not that big when you see them
next to the movie itself...  A compressed single language vobsub file
is often less than 1M.  Compare that to 650M and you don't really
care.  Maybe we could invent yet another format that compresses
subpictures very well but I'm not sure it is a good idea...

Kim Minh.