[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD Playback problems (lots of info provided...)

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Tue Oct 15 21:34:01 CEST 2002

Attila Kinali wrote:
>> With CVS I'm having MORE problems. If I use -ao oss then Mplayer tells
>> me it can't open the audio device.
>
> Blocked by an other program ? arts ? esd ? RTFM (afaik this is in the FAQ)

Hmmm, perhaps you know something I don't, but:
1. Given that MPlayer 0.9pre8 worked fine in oss mode, I'd figure it's
not this... and I mentioned that in the bug report
2. I don't use ARTS or ESD. I'm using ALSA9 only with no ESD or ARTS.

I have read the faq, see below.

> -ni and -*idx are not for dvds (they are thought mostly for avis)
> and i dont think you need -mc 0 for dvd either (if it's not
> a really bad mastered dvd)

The documentation mentioned this was most applicable to AVI's but I did
not understand that it was _only_ for AVIs (or atleast that it was not
for DVDs).

> Wow! A complete bugreport! :-)

I'm a (small) OSS developer myself, and considered posting to the
advanced users list , but I'm really new to video and audio in linux (my
linux experience is mostly with servers or work workstations where all I
used were xterms)... so I'm not really an advanced MPlayer user...

Some more info:
1. The FAQ mentions making sure the drive is in DMA mode. It's in UDMA2
(i.e. UDMA33) according to hdparm -I.
2. I have a pretty new DVD drive (16X) with 512K of cache built-in.

I have tried everything else in the FAQ that seemed applicable (checks
FAQ again)... except -nobps, but this again seems like an AVI thing, not
a DVD thing. MPlayer says my system is too slow but I know it's not
(playback in windows is fine): 877Mhz Pentium III, 384MB RAM, GeForce3
with 64MB RAM, the DVD on it's own IDE chain and in UDMA2 mode, the HD
on it's own chain and in UDMA4 mode... it's plenty for DVD playback.

Given that docs seem to imply the ALSA9 drivers are not of the 'terribly
buggy' kind I'm thinking this is either a new alsa9 issue or an MPlayer
issue... of course, maybe I did somethign incorrect in configuration, I
dunno. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica
http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/     http://www.ipom.com/

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759