[MPlayer-users] XboxMediaPlayer false information spread on mplayerhq.hu

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Oct 16 12:59:03 CEST 2002

Hi

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 11:34, Gamester17 at the Xbox Media Player
website wrote:
> If this is not sent to correct e-mail please forward to gabucino at
> mplayerhq.hu
> (I found it very hard trying to find his e-mail address on your website,
> no contact list available)
>
> Hello gabucino,
>
> The Win32 (by d7o3g4q) version of the XboxMediaPlayer was released about
> 4 months ago and does NOT contain XVID, FFMPEG or any other GPL code at
> all, it uses a codec d7o3g4q build himself from scratch ( reverse
> engineering the divx 3.11 bitstream). And as it does not contain any GPL
> code the source does not have to be released (and probebely never will
> as I doubt d7o3g4q still has the source for this old release).
i didnt find any (L)GPL code in the WIN32 version when i looked at it (i found
lots of (L)GPL code in the xbox version though), allthough i just quickly
looked at both so iam not 100% sure that the win32 version doesnt contain
any, i dont know why gabu said there is GPL code in the win32 version, i
guess this is just a simple missunderstanding ...

> The Xbox version of Xbox Media Player does however contain both XVID or
> FFMPEG code but it is not available for download on the website and is
> not distributed by the Xbox Media Player team (e-mails have been sent to
> XVID & FFMPEG authors informing about this), the GPL vas never violated.
> In any case source code for the Xbox version has now been released.
:))))

[...]
> I hope we can expect a retraction & an appologi posted on your site in
> the near future.
> Think of the people that read your site & believe it to be the gospel
> truth so they do not either do any investigating.
well, if gabu cant proove that (l)gpl code is in the win32 release than he
should perhaps mention that on the mphq page IMHO

[...]

Michael