[MPlayer-users] XboxMediaPlayer false information spread on mplayerhq.hu

Winner of tha face compo gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Oct 16 13:04:03 CEST 2002

> The Win32 (by d7o3g4q) version of the XboxMediaPlayer was released about 4
> months ago and does NOT contain XVID, FFMPEG or any other GPL code at all, it
Well you should have clarified that on the web page. Not just from now.

> uses a codec d7o3g4q build himself from scratch ( reverse engineering the divx
> 3.11 bitstream).
Aha... And it's 25%-30% faster than ffmpeg as you boast on the webpage?
Then the whole opensource community would be pleased if you'd provide it
under the GPL. And why did you switch to the SLOW ffmpeg?

> And as it does not contain any GPL code the source does not have to be
> released (and probebely never will as I doubt d7o3g4q still has the source
> for this old release).
Guessed so...

> The Xbox version of Xbox Media Player does however contain both XVID or
> FFMPEG code but it is not available for download on the website and is not
> distributed by the Xbox Media Player team (e-mails have been sent to XVID &
> FFMPEG authors informing about this), the GPL vas never violated.
However it's _your_ duty to hunt those who distribute Xbox binaries on IRC
or their webpages. And if I got an Xbox binary? Would you have provided the
source then?

> In any case source code for the Xbox version has now been released.
Nice to hear that.

> You have not contact me (my mail address been on the web site all along)
I do not consider usernames created with md5sum valid.

> or any of the authors. Not via e-mail or via the forums, you just posted your
> false allogations without doing any investigate at all.
It's not false allogation, your team didn't clarify which binaries are GPL.
(Alas, the only GPL binary was the one that you didn't distribute. Am I
missing something?)

> I hope we can expect a retraction & an appologi posted on your site in the
> near future.
Hope is a nice thing, but you can't expect an apology.

> Think of the people that read your site & believe it to be the gospel truth
> so they do not either do any investigating.
Didn't you notice this applies to YOU?

If this discussion progresses further, I insist to continue it on ffmpeg-devel.
Most subscribers on mplayer-users don't give a shit about this.

--
Gabucino