[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: [MPlayer-cygwin] XboxMediaPlayer false information spread onmplayerhq.hu

Gamester17 at the Xbox Media Player website gamester17 at nameplanet.com
Fri Oct 18 14:16:02 CEST 2002

Hi, with all due respect, it is false info that is posted on
mplayerhq.hu

This is from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
"That's a lie. Seeing
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/newweb/download_files.htm, there is a
Win32 binary (amongst many else), obviously with GPL license. Please
send the source to gabucino at mplayerhq.hu, which you are obliged to
do."

The Win32 binary of the Xbox Media Player that is hosted on
xboxmediaplayer.com does not contain any GPL code (not from FFMPEG, XVID
or any other project), it's a code written entirely from scratch by
d7o3g4q (Inc. the DivX de-coder which is a reverse engineered one from
the DivX ;) 3.11 bitstream made by d7o3g4q).

Also from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
"They can't be contacted because they don't publish their E-Mail
addresses"

I sent a mail to gabucino asking if he had tried to contact me or the
developers via mail or forum & got a reply that he had not because he
did "not consider usernames created with md5sum valid."

gabucino did not do any investigating before posting any of his posts
about the XboxMediaPlayer, which I think he should have mentioned in his
post with something like:
"btw I did not care to try to find out if anything I'm claimed here is
true or not because I heard somewhere from someone that they are
violating the GPL & I took that for the truth. Source: None".

I think that if he would have bothered to either do some real
investigating or tried to contact me or the developers, he would have
found out the real situation & I'm sure he would not have posted
anything of what he did.

That is why I was hoping he would see that he was wrong & do the
honourable thing by posting a retraction & apology on mplayerhq.hu

Best regards / Gamester17
webmaster at xboxmediaplayer.com
PS! gabucino also CC'ed ffmpeg-devel at lists.sourceforge.net with his
reply but he cut out most of the things of my original mail (on
purpose?!) so I have added that mail again to the bottom on this one.