[MPlayer-users] Re: [Zaurus-general] Initializing network from console?

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Fri Oct 18 18:10:02 CEST 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 09:59, you wrote:
> Am Friday 18 October 2002 16:22 schrieb GD Lewis:
> > As far as the slowness and choppiness of mplayer playback, I simply
> > upped the cache and now it plays beautifully...
> >
> > mplayer -quiet -cache 256 <file>
>
> Well... I always symathized with the Zaurus. I played around with it at the
> CeBit and think it's a great piece of hardware. Even better since I know it
> runs MPlayer :-D
> I'd like to know which kinds of media it can play: I think it's fast enough
> for MPEGs but what about small-res DivX-Files? MPlayer can even do some of

Yes, for example an ~80-120 MB can be played just fine (res 320x240 time:~23
mins) mp3 audio.

> these on my 166Mhz Notebook so it would be really interesting.
> Is it faster than the QTopia Media-Player? (smooth mpeg video possible?)

Definately yes, and yes though it does require playing with framedrop on some
files (mplayer drops them pretty gracefully)

>   ~sth
>
> PS: This mail comes from [MPlayer-users], not the Zaurus list.
(Time to redo the simple mail filters, because this landed in the wrong
folder :) )
> PPS: Are there any Quake-Ports for the Zaurus?

Yes, run fairly slowly though. (see killefiz.de/zaurus (can get to it from
www.zauruszone.com and clicking on "download", If the url is wrong, because
for some reason, in this building, I can't get to it)