on (un-)supported data formats (WAS: Re: [MPlayer-users] Quicktime help)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Sep 2 13:46:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > Can't find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31515653 !

> 	DOCS/tech/codecs.conf.txt

it's for developers who wants to implement new codec

> and grepped for "0x3151" in
>
> 	etc/codecs.conf
>
> of 0.90-pre6, I believe it's not supported.

it is. grep for SVQ1 (it's 0x31515653 in hex)

> Developers:
>
> The message "enable it at compile time!" in dec_{audio,video}.c is
> misleading on almost all machine architectures.  It could at least point
> to codecs.conf{,.txt} .
why?

> I think the un-availability of source code and the list of supported
> machine archs should be stated explicitly in error messages and in
> codecs.conf (not only in the comments, which isn't even done in the
> "AUDIO CODECS" part).

???
if it prints "enable it at compile time!" it means the codec is supported,
but the support was not enabled/detected by ./conigure (requires external
dlls, libs etc to be installed).

if it's not supported codec, it prints
> > Can't find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31515653 !
this

the user reporting this should just upgrade to pre6 or CVS

or at least check the codec support status page on teh homepage...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team