on (un-)supported data formats (WAS: Re: [MPlayer-users] Quicktime help)

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Mon Sep 2 13:57:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:45:25 +0200 Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

Hi A'rpi,

> > I think the un-availability of source code and the list of supported
> > machine archs should be stated explicitly in error messages and in
> > codecs.conf (not only in the comments, which isn't even done in the
> > "AUDIO CODECS" part).
>
> ???
> if it prints "enable it at compile time!" it means the codec is
> supported, but the support was not enabled/detected by ./conigure
> (requires external dlls, libs etc to be installed).

I think he meant "enable it at compile time" sometimes is wrong due to
arch limitations - for example if I try to play WMA audio on my PPC, I'm
told to enable it on compile-time, but win32 dlls would be useless for me
;)

I agree however that distinguishing the different cases why codec A or B
isn't compiled in isn't easy.

Regards,
--
Colin
panic("Oh boy, that early out of memory?");