[MPlayer-users] VobSub Delay badly needed!!

Sean R. Lynch seanl at chaosring.org
Mon Sep 9 00:27:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 14:47, Green, Shaun wrote:
> First off thanks for the wonderful MPlayer code that allowed me to rip the
> subtitles in Vobsub format!
>
> I now have a movie fully converted into 3 avi files in DivX 5 form with AC3
> audio, to fit on 3 CD's. But I have only two vobsub files for the whole
> movie length (one .sub file and one .idx file).
>
> The first section plays fine with the subs. But of course the second and
> third sections need a time offset. The "time offset:" parameter doesn't
> appear work at all with MPlayer. The "delay: " parameter only works with the
> "+" sign. I need to delay: -value for this to work.
>
> How do I break the Vobsub files into the right sections to correspond with
> the three avi files??
>
> For now I'll have to use the Windoze box to delay subs :( which is
> ridiculous.

I would think you'd only need to split the .idx file. It shouldn't be
too hard to write a script to split the file and change the times. You
just have to know the exact running length of each of the files.

The script could take as arguments either the file running lengths of
the files, or the names of the .avi files and use some program to divine
the running lengths.

If I get bored and nobody has done this, maybe I'll hack up a script in
Python.

--
Sean R. Lynch KG6CVV  http://www.chaosring.org/~seanl/