[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Sep 16 18:57:08 CEST 2002

Steven Adeff wrote:
> I haven't posted in a while, but this prompted me to. Arpi, I can understand
> the desire for open source drivers, but in the competetive world of video
> cards, you can't fault a company for desiring closed drivers to protect their
> IP rights. I find it especially annoying that you fault NVidia of all
> companies for doing it. They have proven in the Windows world that they can
> produce excellent closed drivers. They have often released drivers that
> double or so the performance of their cards while maintaining stability.

As you can probably imagine we don't care one bit about Windows over
here.  XFree drivers is *all* we care about.

> Something that ATI and Matrox haven't been able to do. So yea, maybe ATI and
> Matrox need help in creating good drivers, but don't mount your holy campaign
> against NVidia because of it.

That's not an argument for not mounting a campaign against nVidia, but
one for mounting a campaign against the others as well.

> Use the same amount of effort on a company that
> won't produce drivers for their hardware AND won't release specs for a open
> source driver. The linux community could use it more.

That does sound suspiciously like a description of nVidia ;-)

AFAIK no graphics company has been a model citizen so far.  nVidia does
not provide source to their drivers (as Matrox partly does) nor do they
provide specs (like Matrox and Ati partly do).

Diego

P.S.: Let's best drop this thread, there have been enough flame
wars^w^wdiscussions about the topic already...