[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Mon Sep 16 21:27:01 CEST 2002

On 02.09.16 Steven Adeff pressed the following keys:

> I haven't posted in a while, but this prompted me to. Arpi, I can understand
> the desire for open source drivers, but in the competetive world of video
> cards, you can't fault a company for desiring closed drivers to protect their
> IP rights.

What marketroid bs are you bubling about?

Protect IP rights? I thought that NVdidia and the rest of the bunch are
about selling the hardware.

What you suggest is that if they published sourcecode for their drivers
someone (presumably competition) would use those sources for their
products to nvidia's disadvantage.

Hello? Wake up? Have you ever done any hardware programming? I did.
Drivers for one _model_ of hardware are usually unusable with any other
model of that hardware. Let alone hardware from the other manufacturer.

I don't really know why those companies don't want to release sourcecode
or specs to their hardware, although I suspect several reasons.

I boils down to the quality of their code and reality about what they
really put in their hardware, as opposed to what they claim they put[1].
Plus some licences they bought from third parties.

To put it in simple words:

The company is selling piece of iron. The company refuses to give away
information about what this piece really does and how to operate it.
The company claims that it would jeopardise their enterprise.

I don't know about you but my limited IQ tells me that there is definitelly
something fishy about it and I will stay away from this company and its
products.

Robert

[1] confront with the recent findings about SB Audigy being just
 repackaged SB Live with Firewire port, and with the story about ati
 drivers putting lower quality but faster framerates with Quake usually
 used for benchmarking; there are loads of bodybags hidden in
 those closed source drivers;

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35