[MPlayer-users] buggery with xvidix-mach64 on openbsd 3.1

Igor Grabin violent at death.kiev.ua
Mon Sep 16 22:56:01 CEST 2002

Hiya,

I'm having hard time with xvidix // mach64 on openbsd. The bad things
about it here are:
1. when seeking in divx movies for offsets more than 10 secs
(a minute/10 minutes), the keyframe being used right after the seek
is the one that was used before the seek.
quick workaround - "needed" seeks for N minutes, then another one for
10 seconds forward/backward to fix the picture.
2. sometimes the picture gets broken in 'partly squares' fashion.
breakage lasts until the next keyframe. I couldn't narrow it down
to any specific codec/resolution, it just happens in around 30%
of my anime collection. The positions in the movie where the breakage
occurs stay the same every time, and don't depend on video codec
being used (i tried switching from libavcodec to win32 family).
The most fierce breakage does also break the sound, I can't
describe the way things break there, I can just say that things
run amok :). It only happens with 4 files from my 500+ movies
collection, tho. If it's an option to upload one of those
to mplayerhq - I can do it, however, it won't take less than 30
mb of a movie.
I couldn't test it with xvidix // vesa or alike because xvidix
is only supported with X for openbsd.
The breakage doesn't occur with other video drivers, I tested
it with x11 - everything okay, and xv - everything okay when xv
doesn't refuse to fire up.
(side question - is it normal for xv to refuse to initialise for a
640x480 movie on 4mb ati mach64?)

I can confirm this behaviour with 0.90-pre6, 0.90-pre7 and cvs version
as of today. All these versions had openbsd ports patches applied,
however, the only things patched around xvidix were the installation
paths.
(side observation - changes to ao_sun.c since 0.90-pre7 break its
compilation on openbsd. I'm unable to produce a patch for this,
but I can help with testing it. The short story is:
there's no output_muted in struct info here)

system info:
OpenBSD 3.1, stable branch, non-GENERIC kernel
(non-needed drivers removed,USER_LDT,DUMMY_NOPS,i686 only,
no further optimisations)

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (for OpenBSD) / X Window System
Release Date: 23 January 2002
[...]
Build Operating System: OpenBSD 3.1 i386
Module Loader present

# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-openbsd3.1/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010125 (prerelease)
// this is gcc bundled with os

as and ld being used for compilation come from ports:
# /usr/local/i386-unknown-openbsd3.1/bin/ld -v
GNU ld version 2.11.2 (with BFD 2.11.2)
# /usr/local/i386-unknown-openbsd3.1/bin/as -v
GNU assembler version 2.11.2 (i386-unknown-openbsd3.1) using BFD version 2.11.2

the video card is ATI Mach64, 4mb.
gatos is being used. ATI-4.2.0-6.i386.

the sound card is Yamaha YMF719. wss kernel driver.

I produced a log for one of the 4 mentioned above files
which break the sound together with video. It's somewhat large to attach
it (152k), so it's lying on my ftp at:
ftp://death.kiev.ua/pub/mplayer.log
(I hit 'q' a couple of seconds after things went amok)

--
Igor "CacoDem0n" Grabin, http://violent.death.kiev.ua/