[MPlayer-users] Blur in xv output with to width movies

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 17 02:25:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:34:06AM +0200, M. van de Sanden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I found a bug. If I play a movie, with width bigger (or equal)
> than the screen resolution, there is a strange blur about a quarter of the
> movies height, halfway down the screen on the right side. Looks like an
> old broken tv, or as if you scrolled the monitor image to much to one side
> with an old monitor. This only happens with xv output, not with x11 or sdl
> with -noxv. The movie has a size of 1024x576 (see included mplayer -v).

This is obviously a driver or hardware issue. There's nothing mplayer
can do about it, most likely, except use software scaling instead of
hardware. For example try -vop scale=800:600 (but it will be slow).

> NVidia TNT (diamond viper v550)
> NVidia closed source drivers (sorry, but they work)

No they don't, that's why you're having this problem. Figures it's
nvidia junk. :) Actually I think I heard the Free drivers included in
XF86 nowadays support XV on TNT, so you might try them and see if the
problem goes away. I might just have no idea what I'm talking about,
though.

Rich