[MPlayer-users] fastest way to use cropdetect

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Tue Sep 17 17:27:02 CEST 2002

> > can anyone tell me the fastest way to use cropdetect, either with mplayer
> > or mencoder? initally i thought using -vo null would be fastest, but,
> > understandably i suppose, the filter has no effect. Apart from just using
>
> try -vo null -vop cropdetect,format=yv12
> by default for -vo null the 'mpegpes' format (compressed mpeg passthru) is
> selected for mpeg files and then you can't use the filter.

that's great. thanks.

> actually it's a bug (the cropdetect filter should check if the csp is
> supported, anyway it supports most formats) i'll fix.

ditto. (what a horrible word)

> also, to speed it up, try -ss 500 -frames 250 -nosound -benchmark
> it'll scan a 10sec part at 500s (should be representative enough, if you're
> paranoid (and patient :)) you can scan the whole movie...).

well my current plan of attack is to use slave mode and then seek to 3 or
4 different places, sleeping (bash) for a second in between. Seems a
little over confident to only pick one place, which might happen to be the
"pitch black spooky cellar" scene or whatever.

One thing that causes a little reservation here though is that you can't
seek to chapters on slave. While there's no real problem in using -ss the
dvd seeking is still somewhat wonky, and i'll need to check more to ensure
i won't go over the end of a file, which would be implicit if i could use
a predetermined list of chapters etc... of course if there's only 1
chapter i'm back to sqaure one!

thanks arpi.

chris
xxxx