[MPlayer-users] Question about mencode

David Philippi lists at torangan.de
Wed Sep 18 15:25:10 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 22:39, Haas Wernfried wrote:
> crop[=w:h:x:y] (e.g. crop=720:432:0:72 - take 432 pixels from the
> middle, crops away a 72 pixel bar up/down).
> output of cropdetect is quite useful for this.

Maybe you use a different version then I. Whenever I increase the x/y a
mplayer rectange= shows me that it'll crop more on the left/top but never on
the right/bottom.
BTW cropdetect didn't work at all for me, maybe because the first seconds
where from another film, not requiring cropping.

But it seems like I shouldn't use crop at all since I got strange errors
after I tried it. It did crop away some lines and the files played correct
in mplayer and in windows. But when I opened the file with VirtualDub to cut
out the commercials I got strange errors: it looked like every second line
of 16x16 blocks was off by one block to the right. Strangely this error
occured only in frame view - playing worked right.

I didn't perchance also overlook a way to cut the video with mencode?
Something like a list of start/stop frames with skipping in between...

BTW I've found a translation error in the german manpage (the section with
the error is not in the english manpage):

---------
Parameter:
 w,h   Ausgabe Höhe/Breite
---------

This is only partly correct - Höhe is height and Breite is width so it should
be Breite/Höhe (the other way round is how it's usually spoken).

Bye David