[MPlayer-users] Question about mencode

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 18 16:43:02 CEST 2002

hi,
On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:15:01PM +0200, David Philippi wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 22:39, Haas Wernfried wrote:
> > crop[=w:h:x:y] (e.g. crop=720:432:0:72 - take 432 pixels from the
> > middle, crops away a 72 pixel bar up/down).
> > output of cropdetect is quite useful for this.
>
> Maybe you use a different version then I. Whenever I increase the x/y a
0.90pre7
> mplayer rectange= shows me that it'll crop more on the left/top but never on
> the right/bottom.

this is -vop rectangle=420:132:110:72
area between "--" and "|" is original movie, area between "+" is what is
the resulting area that will be encoded.
432 and 132 are w:h of the ++ area, 110:72 are x:y.
i hope this makes clear howto use crop and move the rectangle to the
desired area. of you want to crop right/bottom, try decreasing w:h values.
(hope i understood your question right).

|   /\                                             |
|   72                                             |
|   \/  <-           420           ->              |
|       +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/\            |
|       +                           +              |
|       +                           + 132          |
|       +                           +              |
|<-110->+                           +              |
|       +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++\/            |

> BTW cropdetect didn't work at all for me, maybe because the first seconds
> where from another film, not requiring cropping.

hmm usually cropdetect prints the borders for every (few) frames, so if
the borders change, output should change, too. i can't test it myself as
i can't find something with changing borders in the moment...

> But it seems like I shouldn't use crop at all since I got strange errors
> after I tried it. It did crop away some lines and the files played correct
> in mplayer and in windows. But when I opened the file with VirtualDub to cut
> out the commercials I got strange errors: it looked like every second line
> of 16x16 blocks was off by one block to the right. Strangely this error
> occured only in frame view - playing worked right.

afair cropped area should be a multiple of 8 or 16. if not some players
seem to have troubles. (search ML-archives/docs, don't know exactly,
no windows, just mplayer here :)

> I didn't perchance also overlook a way to cut the video with mencode?
> Something like a list of start/stop frames with skipping in between...

-endpos, -ss to specify end/starting time, maybe not perfect for doing
advanced cutting.

> BTW I've found a translation error in the german manpage (the section with
> the error is not in the english manpage):
>
> ---------
> Parameter:
>  w,h   Ausgabe Höhe/Breite
> ---------
>
> This is only partly correct - Höhe is height and Breite is width so it should
> be Breite/Höhe (the other way round is how it's usually spoken).

let's hope the maintainer reads it :)

regards,
	wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/