[MPlayer-users] Question about mencode

David Philippi lists at torangan.de
Thu Sep 19 11:11:02 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 16:19, Haas Wernfried wrote:
> i hope this makes clear howto use crop and move the rectangle to the
> desired area. of you want to crop right/bottom, try decreasing w:h values.

In plain english: w/h specifies the right lower corner, x/y the left upper
corner. I tried to do this but I tried it with crop instead of recatangle
and I guess I just got odd numbers which aren't perfect.

> hmm usually cropdetect prints the borders for every (few) frames, so if
> the borders change, output should change, too. i can't test it myself as
> i can't find something with changing borders in the moment...

Well for me it does not change and the values are very small for my liking...
But rectangle is well enough beside the fact that I don't get a line on the
right side, I've got to look for the ends of the upper/bottom line to see
where it is.

> afair cropped area should be a multiple of 8 or 16. if not some players
> seem to have troubles. (search ML-archives/docs, don't know exactly,
> no windows, just mplayer here :)

Oh, the players worked all fine and with wrong resolution the encoder should
reject the data. But maybe I've found some border case - I'll try again and
post on the list if it doesn't work when taking away 16 (must work).

> -endpos, -ss to specify end/starting time, maybe not perfect for doing
> advanced cutting.

No, not really. If it had also a -startpos it might be possible to build
something.

> > BTW I've found a translation error in the german manpage (the section
> let's hope the maintainer reads it :)

Well, maybe I'll take the time to read the page complete and post a list of
all errors. I guess I should do at least the first part, skimming doesn't
seem to be enough with mplayer.

Bye David