[MPlayer-users] mencoder wrapper script 0.1

Daniel Kenzelmann TripleD at web.de
Tue Sep 24 01:21:01 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 00:02, Chris Phillips wrote:

> no black bars, uses cropdetect.. which is autocorrected by mencoder, just
> like any crop filter would be. "The" better solution? whatever.. not
> much of a script exactly is it? Thanks for the useful input :P

Ok, "A" (not "The") better solution (in my opinion),
because if you want the best results, you have to optimize the settings.
That was not meant as a working skipt, it was to show the concept
of an easy configurable encoding script.
In my opinion, the biggest problem with encoding is to remember all that
spiffy options which make the result perfect, not to automatically
determine cropsize.

I can see that such a skript would be useful for many people who
don't want to mess with options. Which would hopefully reduce the
stupid questions asked in this list sometimes and therefore prevent
A'rpi's head from exploding ;-)

But the problem remains if you want not just acceptable quality but the
best possible quality.
e.g. how do you determine such things as the best minimum quantizer
(vqmin=X), or the best resolution automatically. (somtimes you have to
deinterlace before you scale, sometimes you don't..)