[MPlayer-users] Two graphicscards..

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Fri Sep 27 11:22:02 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 00:33, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> On Friday 27 September 2002 01:09, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > though, how do you set the frequency for a video mode in X?
>
> You don't. Not directly anyway. You make a modeline that describes every
> aspect of the video mode. Try these two
>
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
> http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

ok, but why do i have to do this?

i mean, i understand how it works...
but how is it done in windows for example? why don't i have to do that ?

and:

as i know X is able to enumerate the modes supported by my monitor +
graphics card...

so i only need to specify the resolutions..
+ i can do something like this:

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Virtual 1280 960
EndSubsection

this way i only specify the max. resolution, and X enumerates all the
possible lower ones...

but the question is:
does X always simply pick the highest refresh rate?
for example if there is "1280x960x75" and "1280x960x85", then X will
choose the second one?

i'm not sure, because when -vo_sdl switches to lower modes, sometimes
it's a 60hz mode......

thanks,
gabor