OT about ATI cards Re: [MPlayer-users] Two graphicscards..

Anders Rune Jensen anders at gnulinux.dk
Mon Sep 30 22:11:03 CEST 2002

On 30 Sep 2002 21:14:47 +0200
gabor <gabor at realtime.sk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 16:43, Anders Rune Jensen wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:55:36 +0200
> > Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Ok, here some info about ATI cards from somebody who unfortunately purchased
> >                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > What have you been smoking? ;) I have a Radeon 8500 aka. r200 that
> > works perfect in mplayer (xvideo) and runs 250+fps in q3 :)
>
> wow! finally someone with a radeon which has hardware-3d :-))))..

yeah :)

> could you please tell me/us your experiences?

well I though I just did :)

> does it work properly with xvideo output? what about vidix?

xvideo works great but xvidix doesn't work. It's just pink output :/

> and i'm really interested in 3d.... now that ati provides drivers for
> the 8500, do you use those or some opensource drivers? are the
> opensource drivers the same performance?

Well it's fast enough for me, the only thing really missing in the
open source drivers is S3TC or DXTC as it's called now. So no Unreal
Tournament. :/

> i'm asking because i bought a geforce4, but if radeon8500 is good-enough
> + fast-enough + opensource-enough i might want to switch :-)

I'm very happy with my Radeon 8500, there's nothing better then
cvs'ing the latest drivers :D And btw. if you thought Ati's support
for drivers on Windows was bad, just wait till you see their closed
source drivers. It's not pretty.

--
Anders Rune Jensen
anders at gnulinux.dk